The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) and its program, National Public Lands Day (NPLD), are committed to protecting the privacy of our website visitors. Please read this policy to understand what personal information we collect, why we collect it, and how we use the information we collect.
We track our visitors’ activities to make sure we are providing the best path and access to information. In the form of “cookies” we track the number of recurring visits to our site to minimize the repetition of information that we have already made available to you. This data does not include personal information about you, your school or your company.
Information Collection and Use
NEEF and National Public Lands Day collect personally identifiable information in the following ways:
- NEEF and NPLD collect personal information when you register for our e-newsletters.
- When you send us an email inquiry.
- When you indicate your interest in supporting or volunteering for NEEF or NPLD.
- You provide personal information (name, address, email address, telephone number, and payment information) when you click on the link to PayPal to make an online donation to NEEF. This database is maintained by PayPal, but NEEF has access to information in connection with your donation.
- When you submit a story form.
- When you submit a photograph or streaming video or content on a blog.
- When you complete an entry form for one of our contests.
- When you share your success stories via email.
- When you register a site.
- When you complete a National Public Lands Day Site Evaluation.
- We may on some occasions use information we collect to inform you of upcoming publications or other marketing material that would serve your interest. We do not sell or share this information with unaffiliated individuals or organizations for any purpose, including marketing or promotional purposes. In the event a NEEF or NPLD sponsor or partner wishes to use images or stories you have submitted to NEEF or NPLD in their cause related marketing, we will provide you with notice of such intended use.
Right to Opt Out
You have the right to "opt-out" of certain of our uses of your Personal Information. For example, at the time you are requested to provide Personal Information on this Web Site and/or through our Services, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to: (1) receive promotional correspondence from the National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) or (2) have your Personal Information shared with other companies or individuals. You may also make this request by sending an e-mail to info@neef[email protected]. In this e-mail please identify which NEEF Web site or Service you are referring to (or all of them) and say whether (i) you would like to opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence (including, for example, e-mail offers) in general, or just via e-mail, postal mail, short message service, instant messaging and/or by phone, (ii) you would like to opt-out of certain of NEEF’s e-newsletters or correspondence, and if so which ones, and/or (iii) you would like to opt-out of having your Personal Information shared with other companies or individuals. You may also opt-out of NEEF e-mails by clicking on an opt-out link within the promotional correspondence you receive, sending an email to [email protected] or opt-out of NEEF’s promotional email or SMS correspondence or Premium SMS Services by texting "STOP" to the shortcode provided on the Web Site for the particular Service. Please understand that if you opt-out of receiving promotional e-mails or SMS from NEEF, we may still contact you by e-mail or SMS in connection with your account with us or to provide you with important information about NEEF or this Web Site or the Services. Also, a request to have us stop sharing your Personal Information with other companies or individuals will only apply as of the date of the request, and NEEF will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from companies or individuals that received your Personal Information prior to such request. In these cases, please contact that company or individual directly.
Links to Other Sites
NEEF makes every effort to protect your information, including:
- Physical safekeeping: As a secure facility, our offices are restricted to employees and authorized visitors only. All computers are password-protected.
- Electronic safekeeping: We use a perimeter firewall that is configured to let only necessary traffic through. All information is transmitted using encryption to safeguard the confidentiality of personal information that we collect from unauthorized access or disclosure and accidental loss, alteration or destruction. All computers are patched regularly and have up to date antivirus software. Files and folders on the server are protected by Microsoft NTFS file permissions. Full backups are preformed nightly to tape and at least one tape is taken offsite to a secure location.
- Administrative safekeeping: All website visitors’ information is restricted to the NEEF offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific function (e.g. processing a donor receipt) are granted access to files and folders on the server containing personally identifiable information. All employees are educated about NEEF’s high expectations for ethical standards, policies and practices committed to the protection of user information. Training and review of these policies takes place periodically.
Whenever NEEF permits an external third party to access personally-identifiable information, appropriate procedures are followed to help ensure that the information is used only for authorized purposes and by authorized persons in a manner consistent with the choices NEEF website visitors have made, and that the security, integrity and privacy of the information is maintained. Please refer to the following privacy policies for further information on how information is handled through third parties used by NEEF:
- Constant Contact: http://search.constantcontact.com/legal/privacy-statement#security
- Foundant : see attached
- Logiforms: http://v3.logiforms.com/privacy
- Pair.com: http://www.pair.com/policies/privacy.html
- PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US&viewType=popup
- Wizehive: http://www.wizehive.com/privacy_policy/
- Woobox: https://woobox.com/privacy
- Wufoo: http://www.wufoo.com/privacy/
Although NEEF takes all measures—physical, electronic and administrative—to prevent unauthorized access to and maintain the accuracy of your data and information, no information transferred over the Internet is 100% secure. NEEF cannot guarantee the total security of information transmitted to us.
NEEF and NPLD are committed to protecting the privacy of children. For that reason, we do not maintain personally identifiable information at our website from those we actually know are under 13 and we request releases from parents or guardians prior to the use of images including those we actually know are under 18.
By visiting our website you understand our privacy statement and limitations.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, please contact NEEF by email at [email protected] or by mail: NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION FOUNDATION 4301 Connecticut Avenue, NW Suite 160 Washington, DC 20008 or by phone (202) 833-2933 or fax (202) 261-6464.
Last Updated July 21, 2010