Rock Creek Park Signature Site 2011
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) is pleased to partner with The National Park Service (NPS) to host a National Public Lands Day signature event at Rock Creek Park, in Washington, D.C.
The Rock Creek Park event will focus on two key themes from NPLD 2011: volunteerism and the connection between public lands and public health, specifically through outdoor recreation. The day will feature several service projects spread throughout the park. After the morning service projects conclude, volunteers and the public will be invited to the Rock Creek Park Nature Center for a recreation and health fair. September 24th is also Rock Creek Park Day.
Schedule of Events
Volunteer Projects: Begin at 9:00 a.m., Saturday, September 24, 2011
To sign up for a project, click the project link for more details and the contact email. In the email, please include your name, the project you wish to join, your contact information and the number of people in your group and their ages.
- Rock Creek Park Nature Center - Invasive plant removal hosted by the Rock Creek Conservancy (Filled)
- Rock Creek Park Nature Center - Trail maintenance hosted by Rock Creek Park (Open)
- Petworth Neighborhood - Land Based Stream Team, Trash Pick-up, Environmental Education hosted by the Rock Creek Conservancy (Filled)
- Dumbarton Oaks Park - Invasive plant removal hosted by Dumbarton Oaks Park Conservancy (Open)
- Carter Barron Area/Grove 24 - Trail maintenance hosted by Rock Creek Park (Open)
- Picnic Grove 6 - Trail maintenance hosted by Rock Creek Park (Open)
- Whitehaven Park – Trail maintenance hosted by Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (Filled)
- Melvin C. Hazen Park - Tributary Clean-up hosted by Rock Creek Conservancy [includes water quality testing supported by Ocean Conservancy] (Filled)
After the service projects, volunteers are invited back to the Rock Creek Nature Center for a free lunch and to join the recreation and health fair.
Recreation and Health Fair: Open to the Public at 11:30 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Fair opens to the public.
o Rock Creek Park Community Gardeners display
o Kayak display by Rock Creek Park
o Nature Hikes led by Rock Creek Park – Different experience/age level hikes available throughout the day
- 12:30 p.m. - Invited speakers will make remarks.
Join Our Email List
NPLD is a Friend to Friends Groups
Friends Groups are vital to the long term health and growth of public lands. NPLD supports Friends Groups through webinars, educational materials and the Every Day Grants program. Learn more about each of these opportunities in our resources section.
NPLD Supports Let’s Move Outside
Participating in NPLD is a great way to get the recommended 60 minutes of daily activity, while you lend a hand for public lands. Learn more about Let’s Move Outside and how NPLD is involved in the national movement.